Thursday 13 May 2010

Institutions

Institutions
As my product is going to be a local newspaper I did some background research on the type of institutions that might publish and print my product. After researching my local newspaper The Epping Forest guardian. I found that it was part of the Guardian Media Group that as well as owning Guardian newspaper it also owns the observer. The establishment itself was founded in 1907 as the then named Manchester Guardian and remained that name up until 1993 where it was renamed Guardian media group. As well as producing newspapers, it also produces radio stations, broadcasting and websites.
Guardian media group like other smaller institutions are then owned by larger institutions, in this instance Newsquest, which was founded in 1995 which creates and produces newspapers.
When creating a newspaper an institution is imperative regardless if it is mainstream or independent. They help with tailoring of a product to an audience using demographics to decided how the content should appeal to a particular audience.
As my audience demographics are aimed at a middle/working class audience, the content has to reflect that.
As it is also a family orientated paper there has too be as many positive news stories as there are negative. Therefore I am going to have a story that effects young people, animals and a regional story. My front age is going to adopt a constant reoccurring theme that are currently in the papers.
The institution that would most likely produce my newspaper would be guardian media group as there is an audience for my paper there would be an available gap in the market, unlike The guardian and The independent which splits their paper in context with their district, My paper would be a County newspaper having news stories and features covering all of Essex.
Amy J

No comments:

Post a Comment